At Saffren and Weinberg, Marc Alan Weinberg, Attorney and Kenneth Scott Saffren, Attorney are partners. The firm’s tagline is “The People’s Voice In Court.” They make themselves available via phone at (215) 309-9577 or by email on the Saffren and Weinberg website. Saffren and Weinberg provides a no-charge, complimentary case review and answers questions for prospective clients.
What to do if You Experience a Personal Injury from a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle accident might apparently seem to be not so severe but in reality, it can cause a victim serious injuries leading to irreparable losses. If life has ever confronted you with a situation like that and your bicycle has been hit by a car, you must have realized the severity of the accident.
Filing a personal injury claim with the assistance of a personal injury attorney is of utmost importance especially if this accident is the consequence of someone else’s negligence. But before looking into the details of claiming compensation, let us understand what a victim should do right after a bicycle accident.
What Should You Do After an Accident?
Accidents can leave you baffled and indecisive, more so if it’s your first time. There’s a lot that will run through your head as you come to terms with what just happened, but you should take the following steps immediately as a victim keeping in mind that it will help you file a claim:
- Gather as much information as possible about the driver, for example, the vehicle registration number, the color and so on. If the injury does not impair your movement, it would also be wise to take a few photographs of the accident site. Certain marks on the road etc. can prove to be important when your personal injury lawyer takes up the case in the court.
- Seek immediate medical care and get an estimate of the medical expenses that you will need to incur for treating your injuries. Neglecting the injuries or undermining their severity can lead you to pay a higher price in future apart from posing a potential threat to your life.
- Estimate the damages caused to your bicycle. This is because the cost of repairing these damages should ideally be included in the compensation you receive when you file a claim.
- Last but not the least, speak to your insurance provider and keep him informed about your bicycle damage, personal injuries and estimated losses. The insurer will have a significant role in making your claim successful.
Understanding If You Are Eligible for a Claim
Finding out whether you are eligible for claiming compensation will require you to prove that your injuries have been the result of the other driver’s negligence. Your auto accident attorney will need to put forward the claim on the grounds that the driver was at fault and that the accident could have been prevented.
On the other hand, for an accident claim to be successful the cyclist should be absolutely innocent, that is, he should have no fault in the accident that happened. If the negligent party is proved to have violated a code of conduct, you claim has higher chances of success.
What Can You Expect from a Personal Injury Claim?
As an accident victim, you need to consult a motorcycle accident lawyer, if it was caused by an erring motorcyclist. A professional lawyer has the expertise and experience to guide you through the process, which can turn out to be legally complex. For instance, if the driver ran away from the scene, it will qualify as a hit and run case, you will need to convince your insurance provider to cover for your medical expenses and then, try to locate the negligent party.
Also a claim needs to be filed within a certain period, which varies depending on the state you are from or filing the claim in. A lawyer will ensure that your claim is put forward in a way, allowing you to get as much compensation as legally possible.
Now, with regards to what you can expect from a successful claim, it usually depends on the severity of the injuries and the amount of losses. However, bicycle accidents being quite serious in its long-term consequences, can affect the victim’s life in more than one way. So, a claim ideally covers the following:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Current and future lost wages
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Long-term medical and nursing care
No two accidents or the injuries that result from them are similar, so, it is best to entrust an auto accident lawyer with the responsibility of handling your claim. He/she will not only ensure that the claim is convincing enough but will also help you out of the complexities.
If you or your loved ones have been in an accident, you’re already going through a lot. An auto accident attorney can help you navigate through the complex process of filing a claim and make sure that you get what you rightly deserve. Contact us at 215-576-0100 to find out if your case qualifies and the amount of compensation that you could claim.