DON’T LET A SURGEON’S MISTAKE RUIN YOUR LIFE
TALK TO A LAWYER
Schedule a Free Consultation with Saffren & Weinberg
We bring justice to our clients who have suffered at the hands of hospitals, insurance companies and doctors. Contact us today for a free consultation. We’ll assess your case and advise you of your legal rights.
Our Attorneys Will Get You Top Compensation for Surgical Mistakes
Everyone makes mistakes. They are a part of life. But when you have a great responsibility, such as the health of a patient or rescuing a victim of a car accident, you can’t afford to make any mistakes. High-stress professions, like doctors and nurses, must make split-decisions on a procedure or a treatment. Often, doctors and nurses work long shifts and there is poor communication due to fatigue and carelessness. When we hear of a doctor making a mistake, there is usually a devastating result. These mistakes are preventable and are referred to as “never events.”
When you or a loved one has suffered from a surgical mistake, who is going to pay for the additional surgeries and care? Who will pay the bills when you are out of work longer than what was scheduled? And who will make sure no one else goes through the same ordeal?
At Saffren & Weinberg, we will help you get the medical care you need to correct the error, fight for your legal rights and win a large settlement. We will hold the doctors, nurses and hospitals accountable.
Common Causes for Surgical Mistakes
As mentioned above, poor communication is a major contributor to a surgical error, but there are more causes for a should-have-never-happened error:
- Incompetence – Although doctors spend years in medical school and residency, they may not have not done a lot of surgeries. Or, they are performing a new surgical procedure for the first time.
- Drugs & Alcohol – We don’t want to hear this, but many doctors and nurses abuse alcohol and drugs to cope with the stress of their jobs. Some have performed operations while under the influence.
- Distractions – Doctors and nurses can be distracted during a surgery from a dropped metal tray, a conversation or a cell phone ringing.
- Improper Work Process – Doctors must stand for hours at times and due to fatigue or recklessness decide to take shortcuts.
- Poor Decisions – Doctors are under a great deal of pressure to have a successful surgery. This pressure can lead to making poor decisions.
Examples of Surgical Mistakes
No one wants to a have an operation, but they are necessary to correct a condition. The patient is nervous already from the risks associated with the surgery. When a surgeon makes a mistake, it changes the quality of life for the patient.
When a surgical tool is left in a patient, it is called a “retained surgical item.” These surgical items include sponges, needles, clamps and surgical forceps. Left in the body, they can cause incontinence, infections, vomiting, and anxiety as well as damage organs and block the flow of blood to an organ. In some cases, patients have died to due complications from a retained surgical item.
Other mistakes include:
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Removing the wrong body part
- Operating on the wrong patient
- Administering too much or too little anesthesia
- Puncturing or nicking a nerve, artery, organ or muscle
- Failing to review the patient’s medical history
- Failing to sterilize surgical instruments and operating room
As soon you are able to, contact one of our surgical malpractice lawyers today. There is a limited amount of time to file your claim – call us today!
LEARN MORE ABOUT YOUR CASE
Read our FAQ
Get all the facts you need to understand the inner workings of your case. Saffren & Weinberg is here to provide you a voice for justice. We want to help you get the compensation you deserve.
THE PEOPLE’S VOICE
PHILADELPHIA’S PREMIER GENERAL PRACTICE LAW FIRM
815 Greenwood Avenue
Jenkintown, PA 19046-2800
Marc Weinberg Practice Areas
Two Penn Center Plaza
1500 J.F.K. Blvd., Suite 1030
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Kenneth Saffren Practice Areas
NEW JERSEY OFFICE
1874 East Marlton Pike (Rt. 70)
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003